WALTERS STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
MID-EAST TENNESSEE REGIONAL P-16 COUNCIL MEETING
MEETING THEMEà P-16: Sowing the Seeds for Our Future
DATE: April 12, 2007
TIME: 12:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
PLACE: Walters State Community College,
Dr. Jack E. Campbell College Center
Duggins Foundation Room
ATTENDANCE: 53 attendees
Council Members: Dr. Wade McCamey ______ __x___
Dr. Lori Campbell __x___ ______
Linda Roberts __x___ ______
Dr. Janet Barnard (Guest Speaker) x___ ______
Dr. Foster Chason ______ __x___
Mr. Joe Combs ______ __x___
Dr. Nancy Brown __x___ ______
Karen Stooksbury __x___ __ ___
Sidney Hall __x___ ______
Dru Miller __x___ ______
Sue Frazier __x___ ______
Cathy Woods __x___ ______
Tom Sewell __x___ ______
Kim Gunnin __x___ ______
Kim Wilder __x___ ______
B. J. Lowe __x___ ______
Doug Keith ______ __x___
Allen Nix __x___ ______
Dr. Joy Collingsworth __x___ ______
Dr. Mike Belcher __x___ ______
Dr. Joe Parkins ______ __x___
Dr. Dale Lynch ______ __x___
Dr. Charles Thomas __x___ ______
Dr. Nancy Moody ______ __x___
Dr. Hal Knight ______ __x___
Dr. Brenda Dean __x___ ______
Jill Eatherly ______ __x___
Tish Jones ______ __x___
Don Hurst __x___ ______
Lynn Elkins __x___ ______
Terry Acuff ______ __x___
Edwin Jarnagin __x___ ______
Larry Blazer __x___ ______
Eva Thompson __x___ ______
Mike Collins __x___ ______
John Dean __x___ ______
Steve Hill __x___ ______
Shannon Carey __x___ ______
ATTENDANCE, continued: Present Absent
Pearl Coffey __x___ ______
Jill Beason __x___ ______
Dr. Peggy Hypes __x___ ______
Gina Buckner __x___ ______
William Von Schipman __x___ ______
Wayne Goforth __x___ ______
Sam McCollough __x___ ______
Jim Hageman __x___ ______
Gloria Silvers __x___ ______
Roger Hansard ______ __x___
Tommy Bible ______ __x___
Diana Gibson ______ __x___
Sherry Butler ______ __x___
Mike Collins ______ __x___
George Shirley ______ __x___
Nancy Causey ______ __x___
Oliver “Buzz” Thomas ______ __x___
Roger Jones ______ __x___
Robbie Mitchell ______ __x___
Tracy Horner ______ __x___
Sherry Hood ______ __x___
Jamie Chapman ______ __x___
Breck Habegger ______ __x___
Andy Smith ______ __x___
Kay Senter ______ __x___
Mike Fishman ______ __x___
Mike Antrican ______ __x___
Kim Belcher ______ __x___
Gary Seal ______ __x___
Jack Mullins ______ __x___
Nancy Barker ______ __x___
Clayton Armstrong ______ __x___
Doug Moody ______ __x___
Jack Rhyne ______ __x___
Laura Duncan ______ __x___
Diana Merriman ______ __x___
Linda Irwin ______ __x___
Dr. John LaPrise __x___ ______
Mayor Joe Tyler Duncan __x___ ______
Mayor David Purkey ______ __x___
Mayor Iliff McMahan __x___ ______
Mayor Mark Hipsher ______ __x___
Mayor Larry Lay __x___ ______
Erlinda McMeel __x___ ______
Michelle Davenport __x___ ______
Leann Mottern __x___ ______
Dale Schneitman __x___ ______
Tammy Caldwell __x___ ______
Jill Reuschel __x___ ______
Tammy Wells __x___ ______
ATTENDANCE, continued: Present Absent
Sue Manning (Dist Educ) __x___ ______
Jim O’Connor (WS IET) __x___ ______
Greg Swinson (WS IET) __x___ ______
Bobbie Young (Cit Tribune) __x___ ______
Greg Kyle (Cit Tribune/WS) __x___ ______
Dr. Lori Campbell and Linda Roberts, Mid-East Tennessee Regional P-16 members, discuss education issues with Dr. Brenda Dean, Hamblen County School System, and John dean, Sevier County School system at the April, 2007 regional P-16 meeting
ORDER OF DISCUSSION:
SUBJECT: Welcome & Introduction Dr. Lori Campbell
HIGHLIGHTS: Dr. Lori Campbell, Vice-President for Academic Affairs, welcomed members and introduced the meeting following a morning Tech Prep Counselor’s workshop session and luncheon. Dr. Campbell announced the new local council petition in process to be approved – Union County – the 3rd local council.
Dr. Campbell congratulated the P-16 Council for the 3 year effort with the math initiatives. In Dr. Campbell’s opening remarks, she also shared with the council members Walters State’s exciting advancements and renovations.
SUBJECT: Updates – Review of February Minutes Linda Roberts
HIGHLIGHTS: Minutes from the February 8, 2007 meeting were distributed to each council member present. The minutes were reviewed and approved by the council.
SUBJECT: Updates – Statewide P-16 Meeting Linda Roberts
HIGHLIGHTS: Dr. Lori Campbell and Linda Roberts attended the statewide P-16 meeting at the Tennessee Board of Regents. Based on information from the meeting, it was determined that there are 3 opportunity gaps: 1) teacher talent, 2) curriculum content; and 3) rigor gap. The state P-16 meeting focused on excellent ideas.
SUBJECT: Updates – Math Bowl Competition Dr. John LaPrise
HIGHLIGHTS: Dr. John LaPrise, Dean of the Mathematics Division, Walters State, announced the success of the first annual Math Bowl Competition held at Walters State on April 20, 2007. Approximately 250 6th-8th graders registered from 19 schools to attend the Math Bowl. While the students were taking their tests, an in-service training was conducted for teachers (and any parents) on calculator activities/workshops and website interaction. Dr. LaPrise thanked the faculty and staff who worked hard to make the Math Bowl a success.
SUBJECT: Close-Out of Tech Prep Program Cathy Woods
HIGHLIGHTS: Cathy Woods, Tech Prep Coordinator, discussed the close-out of the Tech Prep Consortium effective June 30, 2007. Cathy discussed how the transition will include working cooperatively with P-16, Distance Education, and dual enrollment. One focus will be to continue to provide more teacher workshops in the future.
SUBJECT: Reading Excellence Dr. Janet Barnard
HIGHLIGHTS: Dr. Janet Barnard, Elementary Education Supervisor for Claiborne County Reading First Program, spoke to the council members about the Reading First Program (recipient of the Reading Excellence Act Grant). The council present enjoyed the presentation of the different ideas that Claiborne County has successfully used to build a reading program.
· “Diaper Bag to Backpack” program – presents bags to families with a new baby from the school system with a note encouraging reading. The backpack includes board books, picture books, rattle/toy, classical music cd, developmental checklist, etc.
· Dollywood Foundation “Imagination Library”
· Trained teachers to do effective reading out loud
· Early Childhood Literacy Council (including alpha school, head start, day care teachers, churches) – meets monthly
· Literacy Food Boxes and Literacy Bags
· Clear backpacks for Kindergarten
· Literacy Leaders
SUBJECT: Dual Enrollment Linda Roberts
HIGHLIGHTS: Walters State is working to increase numbers in dual enrollment and have worked collaboratively with Greene County, Hamblen County and Sevier County to offer high school students the opportunity to earn an associates degree at the same time they are earning a high school diploma.
SUBJECT: Action Team Report – Math Initiative Dr. Mike Belcher
· Effective math lesson planning – smart boards, calculators
· Incorporate curriculum into middle, high school and college.
SUBJECT: Action Team Report – Reading Initiative Dr. Janet Barnard
· Reading Workshop planned for late May with speaker to address reading in upper levels of schools
SUBJECT: Action Team Report – Economic Development Steve Hill
· Educational standards for better prepared workers and working together as a region
· Organize a task force person from industry, school system, and profile what that student needs to be 7 years from now.
· Design a program to allow us to get students collectively as a region without duplicating efforts.
SUBJECT: Action Team Report – Education Initiative Lynn Elkins
· Educational Forum planned for May 17 – 4:00-7:00 pm in the Walters State gymnasium
· Purpose: To identify skills needed to ensure high schools are ready for work and life.
· Committee has identified who should attend (10-20 people from each county)
· The forum to divide into groups and identify skill sets that industry wants students to have.
· Announced speakers/facilitators à Dr. Paul Hall, Dr. Irene Jilson, Dr. Margaret O’Donnell; Keynote Speaker à Dr. Paul Ruiz; Special Guest Speaker à John Morgan, State Comptroller
· Following the forum, the committee will report with action items.
SUBJECT: Local Council Update – Hamblen County Lynn Elkins
HIGHLIGHTS: Lynn Elkins provided an update of the Hamblen County council.
· Discussed the need for more footage on the tv cable channel.
· Working with Barbara Simmons at Central Services to establish a P-16: Supply Depot where all teachers can get free or low cost supplies.
SUBJECT: Local Council Update – Claiborne County Sam McCollough
HIGHLIGHTS: Sam McCollough provided an update of the Claiborne County council.
· Level 3 – Three Star Program
· School Board, Education Foundation setting up to raise money to give to schools to keep kids from selling/fundraisers
· Assistance for students to attend college
· Help needy students at Christmas
· Start a cable channel for Claiborne County where teachers can talk to the parents
· Working with LMU’s Osteopathic School of Medicine to mentor and help students prepare for college.
SUBJECT: Action Items / Announcements
HIGHLIGHTS: The following actions are requested:
· P-16 Educational Forum, WSCC – May 17
· Reading Workshop, WSCC – May 22
· Next P-16 Council Meeting, WSCC – September 13
The meeting adjourned at 2:50 p.m.
Special Thanks to Bobby and Ann Phillips for catering lunch on April 12.
Respectfully submitted by Tammy Wells